An essential stage in the framework and structure of the School came in 1982, following application of Law 1268 concerning universities. According to this law, the elder institution of chair was abolished and replaced by the form “department – division”. Department took responsibility for policy making in relation to educational and research activity in the scientific area related to the diploma. Division was responsible for the implementation of Department’s basic options in daily university work. The way of decision-making also changed. The governing authority now became the General Assemblyof the department with the participation of teachers and students, which decides on the followed administrative, educational and research policy. Thus, the Department, since 1982, is a self-reliant academic unit, which awards civil engineering diploma and with the other 7 Schools constitute the Faculty of Engineering. Department’s structure defined by Ministerial Decision B1/200/23-2-83. According to this decision, the School is organized into four Divisions:

  • Division of Structural Engineering (D.E.S.)
  • Division of Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering (D.H.E.E)
  • Division of Geotechnical Engineering (D.G.E.)
  • Division of Transport, Infrastructure, Management and Development, while in 2016 it renamed again to Division of Transport and Project Management (D.T.P.M.)

The four Divisions reflect the main sub-disciplines of civil engineering. Each Division is responsible for a number of modules within the graduate and postgraduate courses. They are also focal points for the School research groups. Although they function as organizational units, there is considerable interaction between them particularly for high-level postgraduate teaching and research. In these Divisions 21 legislated laboratories now belong