The School of Civil Engineering is the oldest department within the Faculty of Engineering. It was established in October 1955 by decree 3422 and begun to run from the academic year 1955-1956. In its initial stages, it constituted of 7 regular and 7 temporary chairs, not all staffed from the beginning.
- 1958. Prime Minister Konstantinos Karamanlis lays the foundation stone of the Faculty of Engineering
- The 7 regular chairs were:
- Geometry and Perspective
- Building Construction and Building Materials
- Applied Mechanics
- Applied Statics
- Hydraulics and Hydraulic Works
- Harbour Works
- Metal Structures
- The 7 temporary chairs were:
- Railway Engineering
- Reinforced Concrete
- Road Engineering
- Mining Engineering Construction Equipment
- Foundations and Bridge Engineering
However, in the years followed, new chairs were added, in accordance with the planning of the Faculty and the requirements of the study programs. In those early years, the assistance of other University’s Departments and Schools was very significant.
First professors taught the first-year civil engineering students of academic year 1955-1956 were mainly professors of Physics and Mathematics Faculty, like Maximos Maravelakis and then Petros Kokkoros teaching Mineralogy, Petrography and Geology, Nikolaos Empirikos teaching Psychics, Konstantinos Kavvasiadis in the course of Experimental Chemistry, Mavrikios Mprikas in Mathematics, Ioannis Gratsiatos in Mechanics and Georgios Nikolitsas of School of Agriculture and Forestry, teaching Descriptive and Perspective Geometry. Civil Engineering School acquired its first own staff the next academic year.
- The first 3 professors elected in the newly chairs were:
- Panagiotis Ladopoylos (11/56), regular chair of Geometry
- George Nitsiotas (1/57), regular chair of Applied Mechanics and eight months later (8/57) regular chair of Applied Statics
- Konstantinos Papadimitriou, regular chair of Building Materials & Building Construction (11/57)
- Two years later the following were elected:
- Paraskevas Skopeteas (7/59), temporary chair of Road Engineering
- Nikolaos Horafas (as temporary the 12/59 and as regular in 6/63), regular chair of Hydraulics and Hydraulic Works
- And a year later, Alexandros Sfikas (11/60), temporary chair of Geodesy
Each year the number of the students was increased and the need for new teaching staff became imperative. Moreover, Professors of other Schools, responsible for the courses, had to teach more specialized courses. Over the following years, new chairs were added, in accordance with the planning of the Faculty and the requirements of the study programs, the teaching staff increased and the Department advanced on a self-reliant course, also offering its help to new Departments within the Faculty.